Wednesday, September 10, 2008

A Day Of Remembrance

September 11....how will you mark the day?

When I think about September 11, 2001 I remember the fear and worry about Ron. I knew that he was scheduled to be at the Pentagon that morning. I was driving home from a visit with my Mom in Lancaster when I heard about the plane crash at the Pentagon. I wasn't able to reach him, cell service was spotty or out completely. We did finally connect a couple of hours later. Others were not so fortunate. We drove down to the Pentagon to try to retrieve his car. Seeing that burning building was surreal, you see so much of that on TV and the movies - but to see it in real life is hard to put into words. Below is a link to something Ron wrote about his experiences that day.
http://911digitalarchive.org/smithsonian/details/437

I remember that there were American flags everywhere on buildings, on vehicles and even on people for months after. Not so much now - where did all those flags go? It is sad that it takes a tragedy to inspire us to show our love of our country.

Today, there will be memorial services and ceremonies and unending TV coverage but I will stay away from those public places. I prefer to spend some time in quiet reflection, remembering those who were lost and praying that their families have been able to find some kind of peace. I will thank God, again, for keeping Ron safe and for blessing us with our beautiful children and grandchildren who bring us such joy and make life so worthwhile. Because, new houses and boats are nice things to have but our families are what make us truly happy. Our family has been very blessed in so many ways.
Oh, and I will fly my flag today and every day - will you?

Peace

No comments: